— Binda NSW —
Markdale’s garden is acknowledged as one of the great country gardens of Australia. Begun in the 1920’s, the garden was re-designed in 1949 by the pioneer of Australian landscape gardening, Edna Walling. Extensively rejuvenated in recent years, memorable features include long wisteria and rose pergola, several sculptures and the superb lake with its Chinese bridge.
As well as being a property with great historical value, Markdale is renowned for its international association with the game of Polo and agricultural merits. With a Professor Leslie Wilkinson house and a magnificent five acres of Edna Walling gardens, it today comprises seven bedrooms, 3 and a half bathrooms, large formal sitting and dining rooms, and a separate two bedroom staff quarters, in a stylish family owned country homestead. There is also a swimming pool and tennis court for country entertaining.
The original section of the home was built in 1921 from concrete blocks handmade on the station, with Professor Wilkinson retained in 1951 to “create an elegant and harmonious home in the already established five acres of garden”. The award-winning gardens were designed by leading Australian garden designer Edna Walling between 1947 and 1949. Only once, at Markdale, did these two Australian icons combine their talents.
The original two stone cottages, built in the late 1800’s, were completely renovated in 1998 and turned into two self-contained guest houses, with two and four bedrooms respectively. In 2005 the six bedroom shearers’ quarters was also renovated doubling the accommodation available. These buildings are currently used to accommodate paying guests or overflows from the nine bedroom homestead.